Guide to Epic Truck Camper Stargazing in North America
Words: Brad Trites
Photo: William Hibbard
One of the big reasons to own a truck camper is to get you into nature and away from it all. At night when you are deep out there, you can’t help but look up and take in the amazing night sky. To help you find some of the best star gazing spots for your next truck camper adventure, we have put together the following list of the top star gazing places in North America:
- Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona: The Grand Canyon is known for its stunning views, and its clear night skies are just as impressive. The park has several designated stargazing areas, and rangers often lead night sky programs.
- Joshua Tree National Park, California: Joshua Tree is one of the best places in the United States for stargazing. The park is located far from any major cities, so light pollution is minimal. The park also has a designated stargazing area and offers night sky programs.
- Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada: Banff is located in the Canadian Rockies and has some of the darkest skies in North America. The park offers several stargazing programs and has designated stargazing areas.
- Cherry Springs State Park, Pennsylvania: Cherry Springs is a Gold-Certified Dark Sky Park and is one of the best places in the eastern United States for stargazing. The park has several stargazing areas and offers night sky programs.
- Big Bend National Park, Texas: Big Bend is located in one of the most remote areas of the United States and has some of the darkest skies in the country. The park offers several stargazing programs and has a designated stargazing area.
Remember to always practice Leave No Trace principles and to be respectful of the natural environment when camping and stargazing.