Noisy Fridge 2022 8-11 LE

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dale Hardy
    Participant

Greeting! New to the forum. Just picked up our 2022 8-11 EXLE a week ago. This our second NL. Wonderful camper.
    Noticed a distinct hum, almost a buzz coming from the fridge intermittently (Dometic 3 way). Couldn’t figure it out at first, but after a little on-line research and testing it turns out it must be a fan that comes on to push air up through the stack as the coils on the back of the unit heat up. And naturally the colder I set the fridge temperature, the more often it comes on and the longer it runs until it shuts off. If I have the temperature setting on 3, I don’t think I have heard it come on yet. Put it on 4 and it will come on now and then, inconsistently. Put it on 5 and it really gets ramped up and comes on about every 15 minutes. Does the same thing running on propane or AC. On the outside of the camper it can be heard 20 – 30 feet away. On the inside it’s quite pronounced and pretty annoying (but not nearly as obtrusive as the roof top A/C with a blower that never shuts off if the unit is turned on). This our 5th RV and I’ve never had a fridge in any of them make any noise regardless of the temperature setting. Anyone have a similar issue? I’m taking it in to the dealer Tuesday to have it checked out.
    Thanks.

William
    Participant

Mine does the same thing. Let us know what you find out. Also the AC noise is very annoying, although I understand there is a fix for that, but it requires some expense and work.

Dale Hardy
    Participant

Yes, I don’t get why the A/C isn’t tied into the thermostat on the wall like the heater is. The owners manual for the A/C does state that the blower runs continually to keep the temp in the camper more uniform, but unfortunately there is no significant change in the fan speed (or noise level) when you adjust it. When sitting at the dinette with the A/C on I can hardly hear myself think, and reminds me of when the F4’s would bank right over our base housing at March AFB. Frustrating to say the least, as I’ve spent plenty on this camper already.
    The dealer said they’re pulling the fridge out tomorrow to check out the fan issue, and they may end up calling Dometic about it. No way a fan in an RV fridge should make more noise than my 3 ton heat pump for my house.
    I’ll update again as things progress.

Dale Hardy
    Participant

So the dealer heard the noise and pulled the fridge. Oddly enough, when they took the fan off the back of the fridge and just laid it on the bench, it ran silent. Put it back not the fridge and the sound returned, which left everyone scratching their heads. Some kind of “harmonic,” was the only explanation. The fridge and freezer work fine. It’s just the whine when the fan kicks on. They put it back together so I can use the camper and fridge while waiting for a new fan to be located. Predictably, the colder you put the temperature setting, the more often the fan kicks on. I have noticed that if I have the setting on 3, I have never heard the fan come on. And on the setting of 3, the freezer seems to run between 3-5 degrees F above zero, and the fridge around 37 degrees, which is fine. Put the setting on 5, and the fan ramps up intermittently. The tech at my dealer stated that the fan really isn’t needed because there is plenty of space behind the fridge for enough air to move up the stack and sufficiently cool the coils (by convection, I suppose), and one could just leave the fan unhooked. But I think that would have me concerned about the potential for any future warrantee claim not being honored in the event of some other fridge failure.
    I’ll update again when a new fan is installed.

James Schafer
    Participant

Ours is making the same type of noise. The first time we used it was in the fall so it was cool enough so that it never kicked the fan on. we then went down to Florida and started hearing it, at first I thought it was a drone flying outside the camper. When I took the camper in for some other things asked them to look into the noise and they said they never heard it. This was in Michigan and in december so it must not have kicked in at all.

William
    Participant

I installed this: TITAN- 12V DC IP55 Waterproof Double Rack Mount Ventilation Cooling Fan with Timer and Speed Controller- TTC-SC20 (120mm) from amazon. Mount it under the vent housing on the roof. It’s very quiet, haven’t heard the stock fan come on since.

Timothy Griggs
    Participant

Our 2021 !0-2 began making this noise on our way home from taking delivery. Although the fridge and freezer have cooled fine the noise is very distracting and keeps us awake at night on either gas or electric. Calls and audio recordings to the dealer service did not prompt any corrective action and due to the long drive, I have not had a technician look at it yet. I am watching this thread for a consensus on the most likely cause and best corrective action before we have it looked at.

Dale Hardy
    Participant

Just an update. The dealer replaced the fan in the fridge and unfortunately, the results were the same. Yes, the fridge and freezer cool great, but when the fan ramps up in warmer weather it drives you nuts.
    The sound inside the camper is ridiculous. The techs at the dealer say, in a nutshell, it’s just the nature of the beast, and the only fix with the way it’s set up is to just disconnect the fan. From what I am told, this will not cause any potential damage to the fridge, but it just won’t cool down as well the hotter the ambient temp, because the air just won’t move up the stack by convection through the coils as well to take the heat from up and away. Obviously, that’s what the fan is for. A tech at an independent RV repair shop told me that the majority of RV fridges don’t even have fans. How true that is I don’t know. I just know that the other 2 truck campers and 2 TTs I’ve owned had fridges that never made a sound and worked great. I’m going to contact Dometic directly and see what they have to say about it.
    William, I like your idea and the mod you did on your camper. Did you do that yourself? I’m wondering if that’s something the average Joe could pull off or something best left to the pros.
    Thanks

William
    Participant

Yes, I installed the fans myself. Very easy to do, just take the roof vent cover off and install the fans above the screen. Follow the instructions and power the controller from the refrigerator.

Bill

Dale Hardy
    Participant

Thanks, Bill. I haven’t ordered the parts yet, but popped the cover off to scope it out yesterday and it looks pretty straight forward.
    I contacted customer support at Dometic last Thursday and they had me send in a sound clip of the fridge noise. Haven’t heard back yet. They also told me I could take the camper in to another authorized Dometic RV service dealer (different than where I purchased the camper) and have it looked at under warrantee to see if they had any other suggestions. If they say that all they can do is replace the fan again with another one that Dometic sends them I suspect it will be just an exercise in futility and I’ll go with what Bill did.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account